Skip to main content

Article

Kelly’s Directory 1833 – Coopersale

COOPERSALE, adjoining Epping, was formed into an ecclesiastical parish Oct. 22, 1852, out of the civil parish of Theydon Garnon, but for civil purposes is now principally in the parish of Epping, and still remains a part of the rectorial parish of Theydon Garnon ; it is 2 ½ miles north-east from Epping station on the Ongar branch of the London and North Eastern railway, and 7 miles east from Waltham Abbey, in the Epping division of the county, Ongar hundred, Epping rural district and petty sessional division, Waltham Abbey county court district, Chigwell rural deanery, archdeaconry of Southend and Chelmsford diocese.

The church of St. Alban, erected in 1852, at the cost of Miss Archer- Houblon, is an edifice of flint in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing one bell: the east window is a memorial to members of the Houblon family, and a south window to Miss Archer-Houblon: an oak reredos, in memory of the late Mrs. Grain, was erected in 1923; the chancel has a credence and piscina, and on the south side are sedilia: there are 220 sittings: in 1907 a lych gate was erected as a memorial to William and Elizabeth Pearson. The register dates from the year 1852. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £350, with 5 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Chelmsford, and held since 1931 by the Rev. Horace Baggallay Reiss M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford ; the vicarage house was built at Miss Houblon's expense. A parish room was built in 1882, opposite the vicarage, at the expense of Miss Archer—Houblon.

The Epping Institution, available for 200 inmates, is in this parish. The Institution infirmary and master's residence were erected in 1912. In 1927 an Institute was built at the cost of £1,700. Cottage Homes for 40 children have been built here.

Coopersale House, the residence of H. E. J. Camps esq. is an ancient mansion of brick and stone, situated on a declivity, to the right of the road to Epping; the grounds, of about 27 acres, are well arranged and contain a large sheet of water ; the estate was held by the Archer family from the time of Henry V. who is said to have changed the name of this family from Dubois to Archer on the occasion of a shooting match at Havering, when one Simon Dubois, his attendant at Agincourt, acquitted himself so remarkably as to win from the king this distinction. Coopersale Hall, an ancient mansion, is within the parish of Theydon Garnon. The population in 1921 was 756.

Post & Tel. Call Office, Coopersale. Letters through Epping, nearest M. O. & T. office